Often referred to as Lou Gehrig's Disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive, fatal neuromuscular disease that slowly robs the body of its ability to walk, speak, swallow, and breathe. The life expectancy of an ALS patient averages 2 to 5 years from the time of diagnosis. There is no known cause of the disease and no cure.
We are walking this year in memory of a great father, husband, brother, son, friend, and veterinarian, Dan Mellinger. He was diagnosed with ALS in August of 2012, and lost his courageous battle on July 30, 2014. Even though the disease robbed him of his ability to walk, move, eat, and breathe without assistance, Dan remained extremely positive. As he faced each day, he lived his motto to "Never Be Daunted!" He brightened the lives of those around him by maintaining a positive attitude.
Here are some websites you can view to learn more about ALS:
Your donation, regardless of the amount, will help people with ALS:
- $5 will cover the mailing cost of two educational packets for new persons with ALS.
- $10 will cover a reimbursement for a medical visit insurance co-pay.
- $25 will cover the transportation cost of a person with ALS to an ALS clinic.
- $50 will cover two hours of homecare for a person with ALS.
- $150 will cover one roller walker for the loan closet.
- $250 will cover the cost of one support group meeting or Care Connection training session.
- $625 will cover one quarterly grant to cover ALS expenses for a person with ALS.
Thank you for your love and support and as always, Never Be Daunted!
|Daniel, Anna and Dan Mellinger||$2,070.00|
|Denotes a Team Captain|